Displays, presentations and the chance to discuss the proposals for the new learning centre and an “exhibition garden” at Hogarth’s House are on offer on Wednesday 20 July, in the main hall at Chiswick Town Hall. Val Bott will provide a short history and summary of the proposals at both 6pm and 7pm and the project team will be available until 8pm. This includes the landscape designers and architects, and staff from Hounslow’s heritage team.
This very exciting project is planned to complete the very popular refurbishment of the House, completed in November 2011, with the aim of helping the House cope with the large numbers of visitors who have been coming, and to offer a learning training and volunteer programme.
All are welcome.
Hogarth’s House has been invited to join the Artist’s Studio Museum Network, and we are delighted Hogarth’s studio now has a page on their website in such august company.
This has come at a very special time for Hogarth’s House. The Trust is a partner in the Mulberry Garden Project there, along with the Hogarth’s House Trust/Hounslow Council. A Stage 1 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund is supporting the development of a scheme to restore the Listed 17th century wall, create a new “exhibition garden” which tells the whole story of the half acre plot and provide an appropriate setting for the House, as well as building a learning centre in the garden.
The grant includes funding for initial archaeological investigations and these were undertaken by AOC Archaeology Group in April with the help of local volunteers. Work on comparing a series of old maps with great accuracy, undertaken by Sarah Couch who is designing the new garden, was very important in pin-pointing where we wished them to locate the trial trenches. The very exciting news is that the footings of the building in which Hogarth worked when he was in Chiswick were found, close to today’s double gates at the west end of the garden. The bricks are very similar to those from which the House was built so it ay have dated from the first occupant, in about 1717. At the level of the lane was accommodation for Hogarth’s horse and the “paintin room” – as one of Mrs Hogarth’s relatives later described it – was above. A conjectural sketch of the studio, published in 1853 in “Pilgrimages to English Shrines” by Mrs S C Hall, 1853 and Alfred Dawson, who refurbished the House in the early 1890s, drew the exterior with the neighbour’s conservatory beyond.
The plan will be to show where the studio stood in the new garden designs